211-0138/22-2N Tenure-track Assistant Professor of Innovation and Sustainability Transitions
Tenure-track Assistant Professor of Innovation and Sustainability Transitions
Department of Food and Resource Economics
Faculty of Science
University of Copenhagen
The Department of Food and Resource Economics, Faculty of Science, University of Copenhagen invites applications for a position as tenure-track assistant professor within the field of Innovation and Sustainability Transitions. The position will be embedded in the Department’s unit for Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Management, and is expected to contribute to the general research domain covered by this unit. The position is expected to have its main emphasis on innovation and/or Sustainability Transitions, preferably in the context of natural resource-based sectors e.g. food, agriculture and/or energy. More specifically, the position will contribute to further expanding the unit’s existing research activities on topics such as socio-technical transitions, innovation and transition policy, innovation systems, and industrial restructuring.
We are looking for applicants with documented research experience, either qualitative or quantitative (or both) within relevant social science or interdisciplinary research field such as:
- Innovation studies
- Sustainability transitions
- Management and organizational studies
- Economic geography
- Policy studies
The Tenure-track Assistant Professor’s duties will primarily include theoretical and empirical research, research-based teaching and public sector consultancy work. We are particularly interested in competent team players interested in contributing to the Department’s collaborative and interdisciplinary research and teaching activities within this field and unit. This should involve a combination of basic and applied research, in which the assistant professor creates a track record of project applications for competitive funding to further expand his or her own research capacity while developing the unit’s research activities and reputation. The candidate should also be interested in contributing to the unit’s educational program and associated examination obligations and in acquiring formal pedagogical training. To a limited extent, the position may also include other duties.
The Tenure-track Assistant Professor must have an academic standing showing internationally competitive research, and/or have internationally recognized high potential to make a future impact.
Assessment of applicants will primarily consider their level of documented, internationally competitive research. The ability to attract external funding will be considered together with outreach qualifications. Teaching qualifications are not mandatory but documented teaching qualifications and teaching experience will be considered.
Six overall criteria apply for assistant professor appointments at the University of Copenhagen. The six criteria (research, teaching, societal impact, organisational contribution, external funding and leadership) are considered a framework for the overall assessment of candidates. Furthermore, each candidate must be assessed according to the specific requirements stated in the job advertisement.
Please read more at https://jobportal.ku.dk/videnskabelige-stillinger/kriterier-for-videnskabelige-stillinger/dokumenter-til-meritering/5a_Criteria_for_recognising_merit_-Assistant_professors.pdf.
Further information on the Department can be found at https://ifro.ku.dk/english/, and we encourage all applicants to study it before applying. We also encourage applicants to learn more about working in Denmark and the many ways in which the University can help at https://ism.ku.dk/.
The position is open from 1 February 2023 or as soon as possible thereafter.
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Terms of employment
The position is covered by the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff.
Terms of appointment and payment accord to the agreement between the Danish Ministry of Taxation and The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations on Academics in the State.
Negotiation for salary supplement is possible.
The tenure-track programme
An assigned mentor will provide the tenure-track assistant professors with guidance related to career development, other academic topics and administrative procedures.
Performance of the tenure-track assistant professor will be followed via internal yearly evaluations and a mid-term and final international evaluation by an assessment committee. If the ‘final appraisal’ is positive you will be promoted as associate professor. Performance and progression towards the criteria below will be evaluated with due consideration of differences between research fields.
Criteria for promotion
After a 6-year tenure-track period tenure-track assistant professors are expected to meet the following criteria:
- A strong publication track record within the specific field of research, including a significant number of corresponding authorships and at least some publications in high-ranked journals based on work carried out during the tenure-track period
- Strong external network of collaboration, including joint publications
- A significant track record of successful external research funding [Formuleringen tilrettes efter forskningsområdets muligheder for at tiltrække ekstern finansiering]
- Establishment of a strong and internationally competitive research group demonstrating clear independence of former supervisors/mentors, or/and major contributions to the development of an existing research group demonstrating an ability to collaborate within the research group
- Completed https://www.ind.ku.dk/english/course_overview/up/ and established a teaching portfolio via participation in teaching, including preparation and development of departmental courses
- Successful supervision/co-supervision of MSc and PhD students
The application including all attachments must be in English and submitted electronically by clicking APPLY NOW below.
- Curriculum vitae including:
- Please describe and document international network and relations
- Please describe and document internationally based activities
- Positions held at universities/research institutions outside Denmark
- Outreach activities, i.e. popular lectures or other activities in the media
- Grants held, personal or in part. Career development grants.
- Diplomas (Master and PhD degree or equivalent)
- Research plan - description of current and future research plans
- If available, description and documentation of teaching and supervision experience and qualifications- please describe and document:
- Experience with supervision of BSc and MSc students
- Teaching experience
- Formal pedagogical training
- Complete publication list
- Separate reprints of up to 5 particularly relevant papers
The deadline for applications is 4 September 2022, 23:59 GMT +2.
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Interview Committee.
You can read about the recruitment process at https://employment.ku.dk/faculty/recruitment-process/.
Interviews/trial lectures will be held on 9 January 2023.
Please refer to the following no. in future communication in this case: 211-0138/22-2N.
Part of the International Alliance of Research Universities (IARU), and among Europe’s top-ranking universities, the University of Copenhagen promotes research and teaching of the highest international standard. Rich in tradition and modern in outlook, the University gives students and staff the opportunity to cultivate their talent in an ambitious and informal environment. An effective organisation – with good working conditions and a collaborative work culture – creates the ideal framework for a successful academic career.