211-0130/22-2N Tenure-track Assistant Professor of Computational Thinking and Science Education
Tenure-track Assistant Proferssor of computational Thinking and Science Education Department of Science Education
Faculty of Science
University of Copenhagen
The Department of Science Education, Section for Digital and Mathematics Education seeks applications for one position as Tenure-track Assistant Professor in Computational Thinking and Science Education. The position is open from 1 February 2023 or as soon as possible thereafter.
The ideal candidate has a PhD in STEM education or similar and has documented research experience in relation to one or more of the following areas:
- STEM teacher (further) education in relation to Computational Thinking for lower secondary or primary school (grade 1-9)
- Practice development concerning science-teaching in lower secondary or primary school, especially in relation to Computational Thinking
- Student understanding and interest in the influence of technology and computation on science in primary and lower secondary school.
The tenure track assistant professor’s duties will primarily include research, including obligations with regard to publication/scientific communication and research-based teaching with associated examination obligations within Computational Thinking in Science Education. To a limited extent the position may also include other duties.
Teaching duties will primarily consist of supervision of student projects and theses, course leadership, and classroom teaching related to the MSc degree program in STEM-teaching (see more at https://studier.ku.dk/stem) but teaching duties can involve other teaching and development duties depending on competences, interests, and departmental needs.
Documented teaching qualifications and experience are not mandatory but will be considered an advantage. We prefer candidates that are familiar with one or more Scandinavian school systems (grade 1-9) as well as teacher education in the STEM disciplines. Due to specific teaching duties, we expect that an international candidate learns Danish in order to contribute to teaching in Danish within three years, including grading and supervising students.
The tenure track assistant professor must have an academic standing showing internationally competitive research, and/or have internationally recognized high potential to make a future impact.
Assessment of applicants will primarily consider their level of documented, internationally competitive research. The ability to attract external funding will be considered together with outreach qualifications. Teaching qualifications are not mandatory but documented teaching qualifications and teaching experience will be considered.
Six overall criteria apply for assistant professor appointments at the University of Copenhagen. The six criteria (research, teaching, societal impact, organisational contribution, external funding and leadership) are considered a framework for the overall assessment of candidates. Furthermore, each candidate must be assessed according to the specific requirements stated in the job advertisement. Please read more at https://jobportal.ku.dk/videnskabelige-stillinger/kriterier-for-videnskabelige-stillinger/dokumenter-til-meritering/5a_Criteria_for_recognising_merit_-Assistant_professors.pdf.
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Terms of employment
The position is covered by the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff.
Terms of appointment and payment accord to the agreement between the Danish Ministry of Taxation and The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations on Academics in the State.
Negotiation for salary supplement is possible.
The tenure-track programme
An assigned mentor will provide the tenure-track assistant professors with guidance related to career development, other academic topics and administrative procedures.
Performance of the tenure-track assistant professor will be followed via internal yearly evaluations and a mid-term and final international evaluation by an assessment committee. If the ‘final appraisal’ is positive you will be promoted as associate professor. Performance and progression towards the criteria below will be evaluated with due consideration of differences between research fields.
Criteria for promotion
After a 6-year tenure-track period tenure-track assistant professors are expected to meet the following criteria:
- A strong publication track record within the specific field of research, including a significant number of corresponding authorships and at least some publications in high-ranked journals based on work carried out during the tenure-track period
- Strong external network of collaboration, including joint publications
- A track record of applying for significant research funds.
- Establishment of a strong and internationally competitive research group demonstrating clear independence of former supervisors/mentors, or/and major contributions to the development of an existing research group demonstrating an ability to collaborate within the research group
- Completed https://www.ind.ku.dk/english/course_overview/up/ and established a teaching portfolio via participation in teaching, including preparation and development of departmental courses
- Successful supervision/co-supervision of MSc and PhD students
The application including all attachments must be in English and submitted electronically by clicking APPLY NOW below.
- Curriculum vitae including:
- Please describe and document international network and relations
- Please describe and document internationally based activities
- Positions held at universities/research institutions outside Denmark
- Outreach activities, i.e. popular lectures or other activities in the media
- Grants held, personal or in part. Career development grants.
- Diplomas (Master and PhD degree or equivalent)
- Research plan - description of current and future research plans
- If available, description and documentation of teaching and supervision experience and qualifications- please describe and document:
- Experience with supervision of BSc and MSc students
- Teaching experience
- Formal pedagogical training
- Complete publication list
- Separate reprints of up to 5 particularly relevant papers
The deadline for applications is 14 August 2022, 23:59 GMT +2
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Interview Committee.
You can read about the recruitment process at https://employment.ku.dk/faculty/recruitment-process/.
Interviews/trial lectures will be held on 15 December 2022.
Please refer to the following no. in future communication in this case: 211-0130/22-2N
Part of the International Alliance of Research Universities (IARU), and among Europe’s top-ranking universities, the University of Copenhagen promotes research and teaching of the highest international standard. Rich in tradition and modern in outlook, the University gives students and staff the opportunity to cultivate their talent in an ambitious and informal environment. An effective organisation – with good working conditions and a collaborative work culture – creates the ideal framework for a successful academic career.