211-0068/20-2N Tenure-track assistant in solid state chemistry and quantum materials discovery
Tenure-track assistant in solid state chemistry and quantum materials discovery Department of Chemistry
Faculty of Science
University of Copenhagen
The Department of Chemistry at the University of Copenhagen invites applications for a Tenure Track assistant professorship in solid state chemistry and quantum materials discovery. Emphasis is on non-molecular systems. The research field is new at the department and the opening is being created in conjunction with the upcoming nearby neutron scattering facility, European Spallation Source (ESS). The position is linked to the opening of the ESS-lighthouse center “Magnetism and Quantum Materials”. It is intended as a strongly interdisciplinary position bridging the chemists and condensed matter physicists involved in the lighthouse. For the process of establishing this new direction of research, we are seeking a researcher with a strong track record in the field. The preferred candidate has demonstrated the ability to attract funding, head a research group, and lead interdisciplinary collaborative research efforts. She or he is an expert in state-of-the-art materials synthesis and single-crystal growth techniques.
As part of the lighthouse it will be your responsibility to conduct research, supervision and teaching at the Department of Chemistry, especially with relevance to the general theme of the lighthouse. You will be expected to design a research portfolio which aligns with this. To a limited extent the position may also include other duties.
You will be engaged in high-quality publications, grant procurement and experimental outreach in collaboration with other researchers at the Department of Chemistry and in the Q-MAT center.
The tenure track assistant professor must have an academic standing showing internationally competitive research, and/or have internationally recognized high potential to make a future impact.
Assessment of applicants will primarily consider their level of documented, internationally competitive research. The ability to attract external funding will be considered together with outreach qualifications. Teaching qualifications are not mandatory but documented teaching qualifications and teaching experience will be considered.
The position is open from 1 March 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter.
Further information on the Department is linked at https://www.science.ku.dk/english/about-the-faculty/organisation/. Inquiries about the position can be made to Head of Department Pernille Harris, email@example.com.
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Terms of employment
The position is covered by the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff.
Terms of appointment and payment accord to the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations on Academics in the State.
The starting salary is currently up to DKK 437.843 including annual supplement (+ pension up to DKK 74.871).
Negotiation for salary supplement is possible.
The tenure-track programme
An assigned mentor will provide the tenure-track assistant professors with guidance related to career development, other academic topics and administrative procedures.
Performance of the tenure-track assistant professor will be followed via internal yearly evaluations and a mid-term and final international evaluation by an assessment committee. If the ‘final appraisal’ is positive you will be promoted as associate professor. Performance and progression towards the criteria below will be evaluated with due consideration of differences between research fields.
Criteria for promotion
After a 6-year tenure-track period tenure-track assistant professors are expected to meet the following criteria:
- A strong publication track record within the specific field of research, including a significant number of corresponding authorships and at least some publications in high-ranked journals based on work carried out during the tenure-track period
- Strong external network of collaboration, including joint publications
- A significant track record of successful external research funding [Formuleringen tilrettes efter forskningsområdets muligheder for at tiltrække ekstern finansiering]
- Establishment of a strong and internationally competitive research group demonstrating clear independence of former supervisors/mentors, or/and major contributions to the development of an existing research group demonstrating an ability to collaborate within the research group
- Completed https://www.ind.ku.dk/english/course_overview/up/ and established a teaching portfolio via participation in teaching, including preparation and development of departmental courses
- Successful supervision/co-supervision of MSc and PhD students
The application including all attachments must be in English and submitted electronically by clicking APPLY NOW below.
- Curriculum vitae including:
- Please describe and document international network and relations
- Please describe and document internationally based activities
- Positions held at universities/research institutions outside Denmark
- Outreach activities, i.e. popular lectures or other activities in the media
- Grants held, personal or in part. Career development grants.
- Diplomas (Master and PhD degree or equivalent)
- Research plan - description of current and future research plans
- If available, description and documentation of teaching and supervision experience and qualifications- please describe and document:
- Experience with supervision of BSc and MSc students
- Teaching experience
- Formal pedagogical training
- Complete publication list
- Separate reprints of up to 5 particularly relevant papers
The deadline for applications is 11 October. 2020, 23:59 GMT +2.
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Interview Committee.
You can read about the recruitment process at https://employment.ku.dk/faculty/recruitment-process/.
Interviews/trial lectures will be held on 14 January 2021
Please refer to the following no. in future communication in this case: 211-0068/20-2N.
Part of the International Alliance of Research Universities (IARU), and among Europe’s top-ranking universities, the University of Copenhagen promotes research and teaching of the highest international standard. Rich in tradition and modern in outlook, the University gives students and staff the opportunity to cultivate their talent in an ambitious and informal environment. An effective organisation – with good working conditions and a collaborative work culture – creates the ideal framework for a successful academic career.