Laboratory Technician or Biomedical Laboratory Scientist for the Metabolomics Platform
Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research
University of Copenhagen
The Metabolomics Platform is looking for an engaged and experienced Laboratory Technician (Laborant) or Biomedical Laboratory Scientist (Bioanalytiker) with experience in chemical analysis. The position is a permanent position with a start date of April 1, 2024, or after agreement.
The Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research’s vision is to strengthen interdisciplinary research that transforms our basic understanding of the mechanisms that underlie metabolic health and disease, and to accelerate this knowledge toward new prevention and treatment strategies. We were established in 2010 and in 2017, we moved into new laboratories, offices, and meeting rooms in the Maersk Tower www.maersktower.ku.dk.
The Center has around 260 employees who work in an international, highly collaborative research environment across a range of biomedical disciplines. You can read more about us here: www.cbmr.ku.dk.
The Metabolomics Platform
The metabolomics platform is an enabling biology and technology platform at CBMR, aiming to develop and perform metabolite analysis for the research programs at the Center. The platform consists of 9 staff members employed as scientists, bioinformaticians and technicians. You can read more about the platform here.
As our Laboratory Technician/Biomedical Laboratory Scientist, you will carry out a number of routine laboratory tasks, e.g. sample preparation in various biological sample matrices (e.g. plasma, faeces, tissue, cells, etc) for so-called metabolomics and lipidomics analysis, preparing standard compounds and calibration curves for the mass spectrometry analysis and preparing compound libraries. You will be responsible for organizing and maintaining the laboratory, keeping track of chemicals and consumables and general administrative duties.
You will be expected to contribute to writing and updating standard operating procedures and protocols. You will work in close collaboration with the platform’s staff and other research groups at CBMR and will participate in various research projects that involve chemical analyses. You will be expected to work with a high degree of precision, deliver quality results, maintain detailed records and be willing to take initiative.
Essential experience and skills:
We are looking for an -cooperative and highly organized technician with the following qualifications:
- Must have a degree as Laboratory Technician or Biomedical Laboratory Scientist (academy profession degree or similar qualification as recognised by the Danish Agency for Higher Education and Science)
- At least 2-3 years practical experience with laboratory work
- Experience handling and working with a large variety of chemicals
- Knowledge of chemical safety and safe working practices
- Excellent skills in documentation of laboratory work in English
- Flexible and able to organize their own time efficiently
- Good at working independently and self-motivated
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, especially in English; spoken as well as written. Danish is an advantage but not a requirement.
Desirable experience and skills:
- Experience in preparation of quality control samples and calibration curves for chemical analysis
- Experience with electronic lab notebooks
- Experience in working with chemical data base systems such as Kemibrug
- Experience with automated liquid handling systems
- Experience with chromatography and mass spectrometry
Place of employment
The place of employment is the Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research, Maersk Tower, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Copenhagen. We offer creative and stimulating working conditions in a dynamic and international research environment.
Terms of salary and employment
The employment as Laboratory Technician or Biomedical Laboratory Scientist is a permanent position. Expected starting date is April 1, 2024, or after agreement.
Employment as Laboratory Technician (laborant) will be in accordance with the agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and OAO/HK STAT. The position is placed in salary group 3 or 4 depending on qualifications.
Employment as Biomedical Laboratory Scientists (bioanalytiker) will be in accordance with the agreement between the Danish Ministry of Taxation and Danske Bioanalytikere.
For further information please contact Platform Manager Mansa Nair Kihara (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Professor Thomas Moritz (Thomas.email@example.com). For questions regarding the recruitment procedure, please contact SUND HR CBMR at SUND-HR-CBMR@sund.ku.dk
Please submit your application in English by clicking "Apply now" below.
The application should consist of the following:
- Letter of application/motivation (max 1 page)
- Your CV incl. education, a list of laboratory skills/techniques, previous employments, language skills and other relevant skills
- Copy of relevant certificate/diploma
Deadline for application 29 February 2024
We reserve the right not to consider material received after the deadline, and not to consider applications that do not live up to the abovementioned requirements.
The University of Copenhagen wishes to reflect the diversity of society and welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background
Part of the International Alliance of Research Universities (IARU), and among Europe’s top-ranking universities, the University of Copenhagen promotes research and teaching of the highest international standard. Rich in tradition and modern in outlook, the University gives students and staff the opportunity to cultivate their talent in an ambitious and informal environment. An effective organisation – with good working conditions and a collaborative work culture – creates the ideal framework for a successful academic career.