Head of Research Facilities and Operations The Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research University of Copenhagen
We are looking for a highly motivated Head of Research Facilities and Operations to the Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research (CBMR), University of Copenhagen (UCPH).
The Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research’s vision is to strengthen interdisciplinary research that transforms our basic understanding of the mechanisms that underlie cardiometabolic health and disease, and to accelerate this knowledge toward new prevention and treatment strategies. You can read more about us at cbmr.ku.dk.
About the job
CBMR was established in 2010, and in 2017, we moved into new state-of-the-art laboratories and offices on three floors of the Maersk Tower. The research facilities at CBMR are shared between 16 wetlab research groups and five enabling biology and technology platforms.
The Head of Research Facilities and Operations will be responsible for continuous optimization and development of the shared laboratory space at CBMR. This includes management and personnel responsibility for CBMR’s team of three Laboratory Managers including continuous support of their competence development and conduction of their annual Personal Development Reviews (PDR). The Laboratory Manager team facilitates procurement of laboratory equipment and consumables, implementation of best practices for facility management, daily operations and laboratory safety, as well as sustainability, while ensuring efficient and effective use of resources.
The Head of Research Facilities and Operations will take the lead in developing a shared culture among the technical staff at the Center. In addition, the Head of Research Facilities and Operations will be responsible for assessing the capability and developing/implementing business models for opening the Center’s five enabling biology and technology platforms to external users. This will be done in collaboration with the Center’s Executive Leadership, Platform Managers, and relevant stakeholders, including the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences at UCPH.
The Head of Research Facilities and Operations will report to the Head of Administration and Research Support. The candidate will be a management representative in the Center’s Occupational Health and Safety Committee and a member of the Center’s Faculty Council consisting of Executive Leadership, Research Group Leaders and Platform Managers.
Requirements, qualifications and evaluation criteria
We expect that you have:
- an MSc degree in biology, pharmacology, or related life sciences discipline. A PhD degree or substantial research experience within the field of cardiometabolic diseases is an advantage.
- proven experience in laboratory/operational organization/management, ensuring that efficient and effective structures, systems and practices are in place.
- proven experience in managing or closely collaborating with research facility (including biology and technology platforms), managing projects and a team.
- solid experience with multidisciplinary basic and translational research in both academic and industry/biotech environments, and broad knowledge within biological and molecular methodologies/technologies.
- excellent interpersonal, negotiating and business-developing skills, with an ability to nurture internal and external partnerships across different research centers and collaborators.
- excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Danish.
We value that you:
- are a collaborative, team-oriented individual with strong interpersonal, facilitative and negotiation skills able to mediate and bring together collaborators to drive success.
- have the ability to quickly establish credibility and develop effective relationships as required to navigate and lead within a research organization.
- are a motivated leader with a bias for action and a sense of urgency, balanced by maturity and diplomatic skills as required to support and advance the Center strategy.
Place of employment
The place of employment is the Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research, Maersk Tower, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Copenhagen. We offer creative and stimulating working conditions in a dynamic, diverse and highly international research environment.
Terms of salary and employment
The appointment as Head of Research Facilities and Operations is positioned as Senior Consultant (’Chefkonsulent med personaleansvar’) and is a full-time and permanent position. Working hours will be 37 hours per week on average. Employment will be in accordance with the provisions of the collective agreement between the Danish Government and AC (the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations) with a possibility to negotiate supplements based on qualifications and experience.
For further information about the job description and qualifications, please contact Head of Administration and Research Support Helle Hald at firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions regarding the recruitment procedure, please contact SUND HR CBMR at email@example.com.
Please submit your application in English by clicking "Apply now" below.
The application should consist of the following:
- Letter of application/motivation (max 1 page)
- Your CV incl. education, a list of laboratory skills/techniques, previous employments, language skills and other relevant skills
- Copy of relevant certificates/diplomas.
Deadline for application June 8, 2023
We reserve the right not to consider material received after the deadline, and not to consider applications that do not live up to the abovementioned requirements.
The University of Copenhagen wishes to reflect the diversity of society and welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Part of the International Alliance of Research Universities (IARU), and among Europe’s top-ranking universities, the University of Copenhagen promotes research and teaching of the highest international standard. Rich in tradition and modern in outlook, the University gives students and staff the opportunity to cultivate their talent in an ambitious and informal environment. An effective organisation – with good working conditions and a collaborative work culture – creates the ideal framework for a successful academic career.