Staff scientist for the Rodent Metabolic Phenotyping Platform
The Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research
Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences
University of Copenhagen
We are looking for a highly motivated and independent Staff Scientist with a strong profile in pre-clinical in vivo metabolism research for the Rodent Metabolic Phenotyping platform (RMPP) to commence as soon as possible.
The Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research (CBMR) was established in 2010 to conduct fundamental research on metabolism. The Center has around 260 employees, consisting of 21 research groups and 5 technology platforms, who work in a vibrant international research environment with a focus on interdisciplinary collaboration. Our researchers share a common purpose as they seek to transform the basic understanding of the mechanisms involved in metabolic health and disease, and to accelerate this knowledge towards new prevention and treatment strategies. The Center’s research has resulted in seminal discoveries as to how genes, hormones, and environmental factors influence metabolic health and disease throughout life. You may read more about us here: www.cbmr.ku.dk.
RMPP is a rodent in vivo metabolic phenotyping unit that serves to support Center scientists in performing high quality in vivo studies. We are currently upscaling and developing RMPP by expanding the team, developing the facilities, and broadening the operations and activities to ensure access to state-of-the-art equipment, training programs and experimental expertise.
Please find a list of our current techniques and equipment on our webpage: https://cbmr.ku.dk/researchfacilities/rodent-metabolic-phenotyping-platform/.
Please find a short film about the key methodologies of RMPP here.
The Staff Scientist will be working closely with the rest of the RMPP team consisting of a Platform Manager, a Specialist and four Animal Technicians.
You will join a multi-disciplinary research team performing high quality in vivo studies.
Your tasks will be:
- Standardization of in vivo protocols within in vivo metabolic research
- Streamline the utilization of our equipment (indirect calorimetry, glucose telemetry, digital ventilated cage systems (DVC), etc.)
- Develop state-of-the-art methodologies within pre-clinical in vivo metabolic research (e.g., use of stable isotope tracers to study metabolism)
- Instruct and train in vivo users of RMPP services
- Assist on study design for RMPP users as well as statistical analysis of data and data presentation
We are looking for a highly motivated and enthusiastic Staff Scientist with the following competencies and experience:
Essential experience and skills
- A PhD degree or equivalent in a biological sciences-related discipline
- Solid and documented hands-on and theoretical expertise in rodent in vivo experiments, including state-of-the-art metabolic phenotyping techniques (e.g. indirect calorimetry, glucose telemetry, tracer infusion)
- Solid experience with in vivo study design, data management, statistics, and data presentation
- FELASA C / EU function ABD course or equivalent
- A 3Rs mindset
- Good communication skills in English, written and spoken
Desirable experience and skills
- Experience or interest in surgery in mice
- Experience or interest in laboratory animal facility & colony management software
- Experience or interest in tunnel and cup-handling of mice
- Experience or interest in radioactive and stable isotope tracers to assess tissue-specific and whole-body metabolism
- Experience or interest in bioinformatics
Place of employment
The place of employment is at the Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Copenhagen. We offer creative and stimulating working conditions in a dynamic and international research environment. Our research facilities include a modern and well-equipped animal facility.
Terms of salary and employment
The employment as ‘Staff Scientist’ (Research Consultant) is a full time and permanent position. Starting date is as soon as possible.
Depending on experience and qualifications, the employment will be as either Academic Research Officer or Research Consultant.
Employment will be in accordance with the provisions of the collective agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and AC (the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations). There will a possibility to negotiate a salary supplement based on prior experiences and qualifications. The employer will pay an additional 17.1 % to your pension fund.
For further questions about the job description and qualifications, please contact Platform Manager Kirsten Bayer Andersen at email@example.com. For questions regarding the recruitment procedure, please contact SUND HR CBMR at SUND-HR-CBMR@sund.ku.dk
Your application should in English include:
- Letter of application addressing the requirements (max. one page).
- Curriculum Vitae
- A certified/signed copy of certificate(s) of education
Please submit your application by clicking on “Apply Now” below. Only online applications will be accepted.
Application deadline: February 2, 2022, at 23.59 CET.
We reserve the right not to consider material received after the deadline, and not to consider applications that do not live up to the abovementioned requirements.
University of Copenhagen wish to reflect the diversity of society and welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of age, disability, gender, nationality, race, religion, or sexual orientation. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
Part of the International Alliance of Research Universities (IARU), and among Europe’s top-ranking universities, the University of Copenhagen promotes research and teaching of the highest international standard. Rich in tradition and modern in outlook, the University gives students and staff the opportunity to cultivate their talent in an ambitious and informal environment. An effective organisation – with good working conditions and a collaborative work culture – creates the ideal framework for a successful academic career.