Research Assistant - Project on Neuromuscular Drug Delivery in rodents
We are seeking a highly motivated and skilled full-time research assistant to join our innovative research team in investigating a groundbreaking approach to targeted drug delivery for neuromuscular conditions. The successful candidate will be an integral part of a collaborative international project aiming to develop and validate a novel strategy utilizing thermosensitive liposomes (TSLs) for localized drug delivery to skeletal muscles and neuromuscular junctions (NMJs).
Research Idea and Context*
The project is centered around the use of TSLs as biocompatible drug delivery vessels, enabling targeted drug release upon heating. While TSLs have been extensively explored for cancer therapy, their potential application in neuromuscular disorders remains unexplored. The successful candidate will play a key role in investigating the efficacy of TSL-mediated drug delivery to rodent limb muscles and NMJs.
The research assistant will collaborate with a TSL specialist abroad to formulate drug candidates in nano sized TSLs. The candidate will then optimize the TSL formulations and test them in vitro and in mice, utilizing controlled mild hyperthermia methodologies.
- Collaborate with a TSL specialist abroad (Prof. Christine Allen, Toronto, Canada) including multiple research visits to formulate and optimize drug-loaded TSLs.
- Characterize TSL formulations and test distribution and efficacy in vitro and in mice.
- Conduct in-depth analyses of tissue samples, focusing on NMJ function using state-of-the-art microscopy, biochemical, and omics analyses.
- Depending on progress, test lead formulations in pre-clinical mouse disease models.
- Laboratory supervision of students within physiology/cell biology
- M.Sc. degree in a relevant field (e.g., Physiology, Human Biology, Pharmacology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Biomedicine).
- Experience with in vitro and in vivo experimentation in pre-clinical mouse models and analyses thereof.
- Background in muscle and neuromuscular biology or drug delivery is considered an advantage.
- Excellent English communication and collaboration skills.
This is a 2-year position, and the successful candidate will have the opportunity to contribute to groundbreaking research with the potential for rapid translation into human clinical testing. If you are passionate about advancing neuromuscular drug delivery and possess the skills required, we invite you to apply.
Further information on the Department is linked at https://www.science.ku.dk/english/about-the-faculty/organisation/. Inquiries about the position can be made to group leader associate professor Thomas E. Jensen.
The position is open from June 1st, 2024, or as soon as possible thereafter.
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Terms of employment
The position is covered by the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff.
Terms of appointment and payment accord to the agreement between the Ministry of Taxation and The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations on Academics in the State.
Negotiation for salary supplement is possible.
The application, in English, must be submitted electronically by clicking APPLY NOW below.
- Cover letter with motivation for applying (max. 1p)
- Curriculum vitae
- Publication list
- Diploma (M.Sc. degree)
- Grade transcript from bachelor and master-degree
- Up to two reference letters, including from master project supervisor.
The deadline for applications is Sunday 17th of March 2024, 23:59 GMT +1.
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Interview Committee.
You can read about the recruitment process at https://employment.ku.dk/faculty/recruitment-process/.
Interviews will be held in week 17-18.
Part of the International Alliance of Research Universities (IARU), and among Europe’s top-ranking universities, the University of Copenhagen promotes research and teaching of the highest international standard. Rich in tradition and modern in outlook, the University gives students and staff the opportunity to cultivate their talent in an ambitious and informal environment. An effective organisation – with good working conditions and a collaborative work culture – creates the ideal framework for a successful academic career.