158101 Professor of Pharmaceutical Protein Sciences
Professor of Pharmaceutical Protein Sciences
Department of Pharmacy
Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences
University of Copenhagen
The University seeks to appoint a Professor in Pharmaceutical Protein Sciences to the Department of Pharmacy to commence as soon as possible.
The Department of Pharmacy at the University of Copenhagen is devoted to research and research-based teaching in drug formulation and manufacturing, drug-related analytical and physical chemistry, drug metabolism, chemical toxicology and medicines use. The Department plays a key role in advancing the pharmaceutical sciences in Denmark and internationally. The scientific and teaching objectives of the Department encompass the areas of Pharmaceutical Technology and Engineering; Advanced Drug Analysis; Pharmaceutical Design and Drug Delivery; Biologics; and Clinical and Social Pharmacy. Read more about Department of Pharmacy at: https://pharmacy.ku.dk/
In considering applications for the professorship, the main emphasis will be on the applicant's ability to document a high level of original scientific work on an international level and high ambitions in teaching development within the area of Pharmaceutical Protein Sciences.
The professor will become a central member in the research group “Drug Delivery and Biophysics of Biopharmaceuticals”. The mission of the group is to provide an improved fundamental understanding of novel methods and approaches in biopharmaceutical research, with emphasis on oral delivery of biopharmaceuticals. More info: https://pharmacy.ku.dk/research/drug-delivery-biophysics-biopharmaceuticals/
The applicant is expected to strengthen the research and education at the Department and facilitate research across complementary and synergistic research disciplines. Specifically, the applicant should have a strong background within one or more of the topic fields mentioned below:
- Stability and aggregation of proteins in pharmaceutical formulations
- Protein materials for biomedical applications
- Synchrotron-based approaches in protein analysis
The goal of the research is to provide a scientific foundation for understanding the role of protein-protein interactions and protein stability in the context of formulations, drug development and protein materials for drug delivery. The Department of Pharmacy also aims to develop an excellent research group for the in-depth and quantitative analysis of proteins based on, e.g., spectroscopy, advanced scattering methods and imaging.
The professor’s responsibilities will primarily consist of:
- Research, including publication/academic dissemination
- Research-based teaching, including associated examination
- Research leadership, including guidance and supervision of researchers
- Fund-raising and networking
- Obligation to share knowledge with the rest of society
- Engage in outreach and/or innovation activities both within the Department and towards academia, the health care sector, and industry
- Being a committed and dedicated member of the Department’s academic community, including contributing to boards, committees and research and teaching development activities.
- Academic assessments
Six overall criteria apply for professor appointments at the University of Copenhagen. The six criteria (research, teaching, societal impact, organisational contribution, external funding and leadership) are considered a framework for the overall assessment of candidates. Find information about each criterion here: https://employment.ku.dk/faculty/criteria-for-recognising-merit.
The successful applicant should thus be able to:
- Document a high degree of original academic production at an international level, including considerable contributions to the development of the field of protein stability and formulation through peer-reviewed publications across recognised journals, editorial work and/or books or anthologies and through participation in national and international scientific networks and conferences
- Document extensive research-based teaching and teaching improvement/development experiences
- Manage research as well as other management functions, including knowledge and technology transfer and coordination of research and education networks.
- Take responsibility for developing an active academic environment, participate in assessment committees, councils, boards and committees at UCPH and contribute to enhancing the University’s brand.
- Document experience of applying for, obtaining and managing research funds
- Document experience of developing own academic leadership skills and academic leadership tasks, e.g. research, course or programme management
The professor is also required to possess good interpersonal and communicative skills.
The professor´s tasks will be teaching in the department´s courses, e.g., in pharmaceutical physical chemistry and analytical methods in protein drug development. Moreover, the position also includes duties in terms of continuous development of the teaching curriculum within pharmaceutical sciences. The professor is expected to devote a substantial amount of time to teaching and teaching development
Terms of employment
The position is permanent.
The average weekly working hours are 37 hours.
Salary and other terms and conditions of appointment are set in accordance with the Agreement between the Ministry of Taxation and AC (Danish Confederation of Professional Associations) or other relevant professional organisations.
The position is covered by the Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities 2020.
Foreign applicants may find this link useful: https://www.ism.ku.dk/ (International Staff Mobility).
The application must be submitted in English and must include the following documents:
- Application, including motivation for applying for this position (Maximum 2 pages)
- Curriculum vitae, including information about external funding
- Diplomas (Master’s, PhD and other relevant certificates)
- A complete list of publications
- Research plan (3‐5 pages)
- Uploads of maximum 10 publications to be considered in the assessment
- Teaching plan (3-5 pages)
- Teaching portfolio (Guidelines: https://employment.ku.dk/faculty/recruitment-process/job-application-portfolio)
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Appointments Committee. All applicants are then immediately notified whether their application has been passed for assessment. The Dean then appoints an expert assessment committee in order to make an assessment of the selected applicants for the specific post. Selected applicants are notified of the composition of the committee and each applicant has the opportunity to comment on the part of the assessment that relates to the applicant him/herself. You can read about the recruitment process at https://jobportal.ku.dk/.
Please note that the applicant will be contacted if the assessment committee requires further documentation.
The applicant will be assessed according to the Ministerial Order no. 242 of 13 March 2012 on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Universities.
The University of Copenhagen encourages all interested applicants to apply for this position.
Please submit the application with the required attachments. Only online applications will be accepted. The closing date for applications is 23.59 p.m. CET, Tuesday, 14 February 2023.
Interviews for this position are likely to be held on in the month of May 2023
Part of the International Alliance of Research Universities (IARU), and among Europe’s top-ranking universities, the University of Copenhagen promotes research and teaching of the highest international standard. Rich in tradition and modern in outlook, the University gives students and staff the opportunity to cultivate their talent in an ambitious and informal environment. An effective organisation – with good working conditions and a collaborative work culture – creates the ideal framework for a successful academic career.