156112 Associate Professor or Assistant Professor in Veterinary Epidemiology and risk assessment (re-advertisement)
Associate Professor or Assistant Professor in Veterinary Epidemiology and risk assessment (re-advertisement)
Department of Veterinary and Animal Sciences
Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences
University of Copenhagen
The University seeks to appoint an Associate Professor (permanent) or Assistant Professor (fixed-term, 4 years) to the Section for Animal Welfare and Disease Control, Department of Veterinary and Animal Sciences to commence as soon as possible.
Information on the Department can be found at: https://ivh.ku.dk/
We are looking for a highly motivated and enthusiastic scientist with relevant competencies within veterinary epidemiology and veterinary risk assessment.
The research activities in the section is broad within the field of veterinary epidemiology, including also bioethics and ethology. This position is linked to the research-based public sector services, which UCPH provides for the Danish Veterinary and Food administration. These services are strongly connected to the veterinary contingency, especially within the field of risk assessments and modeling of infectious diseases. As a scientist in this position, you will be able to do in-depth epidemiological research, as well as to use your experience and expertise to solve tasks of varying size and duration for the veterinary and food administration. As the research-based public sector services is a collaborative work including experts of many types, good collaboration skills and project management skills are strongly recommended in this position. Collaboration within the section, between sections at UCPH, and across sectors, also including Danish farmers should be expected; therefore, effective communication will be required, and emphasis on skills in written and spoken English and Danish will be made. Foreign applicants are still encouraged to apply, even if Danish is still not a competence possessed.
The Associate Professor’s responsibilities will primarily consist of:
- Research within the field of veterinary epidemiology and risk assessment, including project applications, publication/academic dissemination
- Research-based advisory for the veterinary and food administration
- Obligation to share knowledge with society, including participation in public debate
- Academic assessments
The Assistant Professor’s responsibilities will primarily consist of:
- Research within the field of veterinary epidemiology and risk assessment, including publication/academic dissemination
- Research-based advisory for the veterinary and food administration
- Sharing knowledge with society
- Participation in formal pedagogical training program for assistant professors.
Six overall criteria apply for assistant professor and associate professor appointments at the University of Copenhagen. The six criteria (research, teaching, societal impact, organisational contribution, external funding and leadership) are considered a framework for the overall assessment of candidates. Find information about each criterion here: https://employment.ku.dk/faculty/criteria-for-recognising-merit.
The successful applicant for the position as associate professor should be able to document:
- Research qualifications within veterinary epidemiology at the level that can be achieved by satisfactorily completing a period of employment as an assistant professor/postdoc, but may also be obtained in other ways
- Experience in securing external funding for research
- Experience in research-based public sector services or similar type of work
- Good skills in written and spoken English/Danish
- Experience in popular scientific writing and writing of scientific reports
- Teaching qualifications and pedagogical competencies. If the candidate has not passed the “Teaching and Learning in Higher Education Program (Universitetspædagogikum), University of Copenhagen” or equivalent, it should be achieved within the first two year of employment.
- Research-based teaching
The successful applicant for the position as assistant professor should be able to document:
- A PhD degree or similar qualifications within veterinary science
- Research experience within the field of the position: The assistant professor must have an academic standing showing internationally competitive research, and/or have internationally recognized high potential to make a future impact.
The associate professor/assistant professor is also required to possess good interpersonal and communicative skills.
Terms of employment
The position is 4 years for assistant professor and permanent for associate professor.
The average weekly working hours are 37 hours per week.
Salary and other terms and conditions of appointment are set in accordance with the Agreement between the Ministry of Finance and AC (Danish Confederation of Professional Associations) or other relevant professional organisations.
The position is covered by the Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities 2020.
For further information, please contact Head of Department Birgit Nørrung, e-mail: email@example.com or Research Group Leader, Professor Hans Houe, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Foreign applicants may find this link useful: https://www.ism.ku.dk/ (International Staff Mobility).
Filling of application
Please note that it is possible to apply at both levels. If applied at both, separate applications must be submitted (see below). Please note that you will only be considered for the position(s) you have applied for.
The application must be submitted in English and must include the following documents:
- Application, including information about external funding (Maximum 2 pages)
- Curriculum vitae, including information about external funding
- Diplomas (Master’s, PhD, and other relevant certificates)
- A complete list of publications
- Research plan (3‐5 pages)
- Uploads of maximum 5 publications to be considered in the assessment
- Teaching plan
- Teaching portfolio (Guidelines: https://employment.ku.dk/faculty/recruitment-process/job-application-portfolio)
Please note: It is mandatory to upload a teaching plan in the online application form. When applying for the assistant professor position, please upload a blank document in this box, if you have no teaching plan.
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Appointments Committee. All applicants are then immediately notified whether their application has been passed for assessment. The Dean then appoints an expert assessment committee in order to make an assessment of the selected applicants for the specific post. Selected applicants are notified of the composition of the committee and each applicant has the opportunity to comment on the part of the assessment that relates to the applicant him/herself. You can read about the recruitment process at https://jobportal.ku.dk/.
Please note that the applicant will be contacted if the assessment committee requires further documentation.
The applicant will be assessed according to the Ministerial Order no. 242 of 13 March 2012 on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Universities.
The University of Copenhagen encourages all interested applicants to apply for this position.
Please submit the application with the required attachments. The closing date for applications is 23.59 p.m. CET, Monday, 6 June 2022. Interviews for this position are likely to be held on in the month of September 2022.
Part of the International Alliance of Research Universities (IARU), and among Europe’s top-ranking universities, the University of Copenhagen promotes research and teaching of the highest international standard. Rich in tradition and modern in outlook, the University gives students and staff the opportunity to cultivate their talent in an ambitious and informal environment. An effective organisation – with good working conditions and a collaborative work culture – creates the ideal framework for a successful academic career.