151257 Associate Professor of Translational Cancer Research (10 %)
Department of Drug Design and Pharmacology
Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences
University of Copenhagen
The University seeks to appoint a part-time (10%) associate professor of translational cancer research to the Department of Drug Design and Pharmacology to commence as soon as possible.
The Department of Drug Design and Pharmacology (www.drug.ku.dk) has a strategic focus on translational research, drug discovery, and personalized medicine and therefore offers a faculty position as associate professor in germane topic. The department is engaged in interdisciplinary research, teaching and innovation within the pharmaceutical sciences. We strive for the highest quality, and wish to recruit a candidate able to document activity at an international level in all of these aspects. We aim to appoint an associate professor with one or more of the following qualifications: (i) Documented expertise in cancer research, with focus on drug resistance to anti-cancer drugs, preferably in a personalized medicine setting (e.g. biomarker studies for personalized anti-cancer therapy), (ii) Expertise in translation of basic research results through clinical applications, such as clinical trials, preferably related to personalized medicine (iii) Knowledge in pre-clinical in vitro and in vivo cancer model systems, (iv) Track-record of supervision/mentorship of students at all levels, (v) Documented expertise in teaching in cancer relevant areas. (vi) first-hand experience with innovation, IPR, and collaboration between academic and private sector, and (vii) documented ability to initiate and participate in collaborative science involving scientists with diverse expertise, which is a requirement in todays multidisciplinary pharmaceutical sciences.
The associate professor’s responsibilities will primarily consist of:
- Research, including dissemination of results to the scientific community (e.g. by publishing in scientific journals and contribute to investigator initiated clinical trials ) and to the general public.
- Contribute to relevant research-based teaching within the field of pharmacology
- Engage in outreach and innovation activities towards academia and industry nationally and internationally
- Research leadership, including guidance and supervision of researchers and students
- Share knowledge with the rest of society, including engagement with stakeholders for a specific focus on personalized medicine.
- Contribute to department research- and innovation initiatives
- Academic assessments
- Attract funding
Required documented qualifications
The successful applicant should be able to:
- Document original academic production at a high international level witin the areas detailed above (i to vii). This includes considerable contributions to the multiple strategic focus areas of the Department (additional information available at https://drug.ku.dk/), specifically within translational and personalized cancer therapy and with focus on anti-cancer drug resistance.
- Document research leadership including management functions, e.g. engage in the university’s internal and external academic activities, as well as knowledge and technology transfer
- Document teaching qualifications and pedagogical competencies
- Develop, organise and conduct research-based teaching
- Document engagement in innovation and innovation-related activities
- Experience of applying for- and managing research funds
The associate professor is also required to possess good interpersonal and communicative skills.
Terms of employment
Salary and other terms and conditions of appointment are set in accordance with the Agreement between the Ministry of Finance and AC (Danish Confederation of Professional Associations) or other relevant professional organisations.
The position is a part-time associate professor equivalent to 10% of a full time employment.
The position is covered by the Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities (2020).
Foreign applicants may find this link useful: http://www.ism.ku.dk/ (International Staff Mobility).
The application must be submitted in English and must include the following documents:
- Application, including motivation for applying for this position (Maximum 2 pages)
- Curriculum vitae
- Diplomas (Master’s, PhD and other relevant certificates)
- A complete list of publications, including H-index and total number of citations
- Research plan (3‐5 pages)
- Uploads of maximum 5 publications to be considered in the assessment
- Teaching plan
- Teaching portfolio (Guidelines: https://employment.ku.dk/faculty/recruitment-process/job-application-portfolio/)
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Appointments Committee. All applicants are then immediately notified whether their application has been passed for assessment. The Dean then appoints an expert assessment committee in order to make an assessment of the selected applicants for the specific post. Selected applicants are notified of the composition of the committee and each applicant has the opportunity to comment on the part of the assessment that relates to the applicant him/herself. You can read about the recruitment process at https://jobportal.ku.dk/.
Please note that the applicant will be contacted if the assessment committee requires further documentation.
The applicant will be assessed according to the Ministerial Order no. 242 of 13 March 2012 on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Universities.
The University of Copenhagen encourages all interested applicants to apply for this position.
Please submit the application with the required attachments. Only online applications will be accepted. The closing date for applications is 23.59 p.m. CET, Tuesday, 25 February 2020.
Interviews for this position are likely to be held in week 13, 2020.
Part of the International Alliance of Research Universities (IARU), and among Europe’s top-ranking universities, the University of Copenhagen promotes research and teaching of the highest international standard. Rich in tradition and modern in outlook, the University gives students and staff the opportunity to cultivate their talent in an ambitious and informal environment. An effective organisation – with good working conditions and a collaborative work culture – creates the ideal framework for a successful academic career.