211-0044/19-2N Tenure-track Assistant Professor of Plant Protein Biology
Tenure-track Assistant Professor of Plant Protein Biology
Department of Plant and Environmental Sciences
Faculty of Science
University of Copenhagen
The Department of Plant and Environmental Sciences invites applications for a position as Assistant Professor of Plant Protein Biology starting 1 September 2020 or as soon as possible thereafter. Place of employment will be Section of Plant Glycobiology, Thorvaldsensvej 40, 1871 Frederiksberg C, Denmark.
The appointed Assistant Professor will perform research that will lead to a better understanding of how cell wall producing proteins work and interact with the cytoskeleton in plant cells. Further areas will be focused on how proteins important for cell wall synthesis function. Applicants with competencies in the fields of proteomics (including protein expression, purification and structural analyses, as well as detection of protein modifications and interactions), microscopy (including the full range of light, confocal, automated imaging techniques and/or electron microscopy), biophysics (in vitro based protein characterization) as well as molecular biology and plant physiology will be prioritized.
The candidate will work closely with Professor Staffan Persson and his team to perform primarily research related to the “Villum Investigator” and “Novo Nordisk Laureate” grants recently obtained by Prof. Persson. The appointee is expected to take part in the management of a cross-disciplinary team together with Prof. Persson, that will include biochemists, molecular and cell biologists, biophysicists, and bioinformaticians. The appointee is expected to undertake original research and actively participate in research training at a level commensurate with the appointment.
The tenure-track Assistant Professor’s duties will primarily focus on research, which includes execution of research, publication of outcomes, and engagement with the public. The Assistant Professor must also teach, supervise, prepare and participate in examinations, and fulfill other tasks requested by the Department related to the research area. It is expected that the candidate eventually will be able to teach at all levels. Teaching at bachelor level is in Danish and it is expected that the candidate will be able to teach in Danish within three years. The candidate will be enrolled to follow the necessary pedagogical training. To a limited extent the position will also include other duties. The tenure track Assistant Professor must have an academic standing showing internationally competitive research, and/or have internationally recognized high potential to make a future impact.
Assessment of applicants will primarily consider their level of documented, internationally competitive research. The ability to attract external funding will be considered together with outreach qualifications. Teaching qualifications are not mandatory, but documented teaching qualifications and teaching experience will be considered.
Further information on the Department and the section can be found here: https://plen.ku.dk/english/research/glyco/. Inquiries about the position can be made to Head of department at Department of Plant and Environmental Sciences, Professor Svend Christensen, tel. (+45) 5148 9421, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Terms of employment
The position is covered by the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff.
Terms of appointment and payment accord to the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations on Academics in the State.
The starting salary is currently up to DKK 434.179 including annual supplement (+ pension up to DKK 74.244).
Negotiation for salary supplement is possible.
The tenure-track programme
An assigned mentor will provide the tenure-track Assistant Professors with guidance related to career development, other academic topics and administrative procedures.
Performance of the tenure-track Assistant Professor will be followed via internal yearly evaluations and a mid-term and final international evaluation by an assessment committee. If the ‘final appraisal’ is positive you will be promoted as Associate Professor. Performance and progression towards the criteria below will be evaluated with due consideration of differences between research fields.
Criteria for promotion
After a 6-year tenure-track period tenure-track Assistant Professors are expected to meet the following criteria:
- A strong publication track record within the specific field of research, including a significant number of corresponding authorships and at least some publications in high-ranked journals based on work carried out during the tenure-track period
- A strong external network of collaboration, including joint publications
- A significant track record of successful external research funding
- Establishment of a strong and internationally competitive research group demonstrating clear independence of former supervisors/mentors, or/and major contributions to the development of an existing research group demonstrating an ability to collaborate within the research group
- Completed http://www.ind.ku.dk/english/course_overview/up/ and established a teaching portfolio via participation in teaching, including preparation and development of departmental courses
- Successful supervision/co-supervision of MSc and PhD students
The application including all attachments must be in English and submitted electronically by clicking APPLY NOW below.
- Curriculum vitae including:
- Please use a section to describe how you fit the position description
- Please outline how your previous research has impacted your research field
- Please describe and document international activities, networks and relations
- Positions held at universities/research institutions outside Denmark
- Grants held, personal or in part. Career development grants.
- Scientific honours and invited seminars
- Diplomas (Master and PhD degree or equivalent)
- Research plan - description of current and future research plans.
- If available, description and documentation of teaching and supervision experience and qualifications- please describe and document:
- Experience with supervision of BSc and MSc students
- Teaching experience
- Formal pedagogical training
- Complete publication list
- Separate reprints of up to 5 particularly relevant papers
The deadline for applications is 11 March 2020, 23:59 GMT +1.
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Interview Committee.
You can read about the recruitment process at http://employment.ku.dk/faculty/recruitment-process/.
Interviews/trial lectures will be held on 29 June 2020.
Please refer to the following no. in future communication in this case: 211-0044/19-2N.
Part of the International Alliance of Research Universities (IARU), and among Europe’s top-ranking universities, the University of Copenhagen promotes research and teaching of the highest international standard. Rich in tradition and modern in outlook, the University gives students and staff the opportunity to cultivate their talent in an ambitious and informal environment. An effective organisation – with good working conditions and a collaborative work culture – creates the ideal framework for a successful academic career.