156597 Associate Professor of Medical Molecular Biology
Department of Immunology and Microbiology
Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences
University of Copenhagen
The University seeks to appoint an associate professor to the Department of Immunology and Microbiology to commence as soon as possible.
Information on the Department can be found at: https://sund.ku.dk/.
The position includes research in molecular, immunological, and microbiological aspects of relevance for the transmission and control of malaria and other vector-borne diseases in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs). The research has a particular focus on the development and establishment of molecular methods of relevance for drug resistance in parasites and insecticide resistance in disease transmitting vectors. The associate professor is also expected to participate in clinical testing of antimalarial drugs. Furthermore, special emphasis will be on the management and submission of small and larger research proposals with focus on vector-borne diseases, such as malaria in collaboration with international partners. Finally, in the evaluation process it is important that the applicant shows an interest in research capacity building and establishing links between biomedical and public health research. The associate professor will teach microbiology, parasitology, and international health at the faculty.
The associate professor’s responsibilities will primarily consist of:
- Heading a research capacity building program between universities in Denmark and universities in the South.
- Heading one or more national or international funded research projects with a focus on malaria and other vector-borne diseases
- Research, including publication/academic dissemination
- Research-based teaching, including associated examination
- Research leadership, including guidance and supervision of researchers
- Obligation to share knowledge with the rest of society, including participation in public debate
- Academic assessments
Six overall criteria apply for associate professor appointments at the University of Copenhagen. The six criteria (research, teaching, societal impact, organisational contribution, external funding and leadership) are considered a framework for the overall assessment of candidates. Find information about each criterion here: https://employment.ku.dk/faculty/criteria-for-recognising-merit.
Furthermore, each applicant must be able to document:
- Leadership skills and extended experience in research collaborative projects in Africa
- Research qualifications at the level that can be achieved by satisfactorily completing a period of employment as an assistant professor/postdoc, but may also be obtained in other ways
- Teaching qualifications and pedagogical competencies
- Research-based teaching
The associate professor is also required to possess good interpersonal and communicative skills.
Terms of employment
The position is a permanent position.
The average weekly working hours are 37 hours per week.
Salary and other terms and conditions of appointment are set in accordance with the Agreement between the Ministry of Taxation and AC (Danish Confederation of Professional Associations) or other relevant professional organisations.
The position is covered by the Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities 2020.
For further information, please contact Deputy Head of Department Thor Grundtvig Theander, email@example.com.
Foreign applicants may find this link useful: https://www.ism.ku.dk/ (International Staff Mobility).
The application must be submitted in English and must include the following documents:
- Application, including motivations for applying for the position (Maximum 2 pages)
- Curriculum vitae, including information about external funding
- Diplomas (Master’s, PhD, and other relevant certificates)
- A complete list of publications
- Research plan (3‐5 pages)
- Uploads of maximum 5 publications to be considered in the assessment
- Teaching plan
- Teaching portfolio (Guidelines: https://employment.ku.dk/faculty/recruitment-process/job-application-portfolio)
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Appointments Committee. All applicants are then immediately notified whether their application has been passed for assessment. The Dean then appoints an expert assessment committee in order to make an assessment of the selected applicants for the specific post. Selected applicants are notified of the composition of the committee and each applicant has the opportunity to comment on the part of the assessment that relates to the applicant him/herself. You can read about the recruitment process at https://jobportal.ku.dk/.
Please note that the applicant will be contacted if the assessment committee requires further documentation.
The applicant will be assessed according to the Ministerial Order no. 242 of 13 March 2012 on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Universities.
The University of Copenhagen encourages all interested applicants to apply for this position.
Please submit the application with the required attachments. The closing date for applications is 23.59 p.m. CET, Tuesday, 30 June 2022.
Interviews for this position are likely to be held in the end of August 2022.
Part of the International Alliance of Research Universities (IARU), and among Europe’s top-ranking universities, the University of Copenhagen promotes research and teaching of the highest international standard. Rich in tradition and modern in outlook, the University gives students and staff the opportunity to cultivate their talent in an ambitious and informal environment. An effective organisation – with good working conditions and a collaborative work culture – creates the ideal framework for a successful academic career.