Department of Clinical Medicine
Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences
University of Copenhagen
The University seeks to appoint a clinical professor of Emergency Medicine to commence as soon as possible. The externally funded professorship is combined with a consultancy at either: 1) Bispebjerg and Frederiksberg Hospital, the Emergency Department, 2) Amager and Hvidovre Hospital, the Emergency Department, 3) Herlev and Gentofte Hospital, the Emergency Department or 4) Nordsjællands Hospital, the Emergency Department. Applicants can only apply for a consultancy at one of the mentioned hospitals. The applicant must argue why he/she is applying specifically at the hospital in question.
It is a requirement for appointment that the applicant is accepted for both the professorship and the consultancy. In order to be considered the applicant must send two applications: one to the Faculty (the professorship) and one to the hospital (the consultancy) cf. the simultaneously advertised position of the consultancy. This also applies to applicants who are already employed as consultants at the Hospital. The advertisement for the consultancy is available from www.sundhedsjobs.dk
The professorship will be financed by TrygFonden and the position as consultant will be financed by the Hospital. The professorship is well funded with DKK 6.2 mill. This amount covers the professor’s salary and salary for half-time secretary. The remaining amount covers research costs.
Information on the Department of Clinical Medicine can be found at: http://ikm.ku.dk/
In the consideration of applications for the professorship, the main emphasis will be on the applicant's ability to document a high level of original scientific work at an international level within the area of Emergency Medicine.
The professor’s duties will primarily consist of:
• Research, including publication/academic dissemination
• Research-based teaching, including associated examination
• Research leadership, including guidance and supervision of researchers
• Obligation to share knowledge with the rest of society, including participation in public debate
• Academic assessments
The successful applicant should be able to:
• Document a high degree of original academic production at an international level, including considerable contributions to the development of the academic discipline
• Manage research and other management functions, e.g. engage in the university’s external academic activities, as well as knowledge and technology transfer
• Provide research-based teaching
• Strengthen and develop research in the field of emergency medicine by ensuring cohesion and collaboration among existing clinical research environments, including the primary and pre-hospital sectors, epidemiological research and basic physiological research.
• Establish and develop an emergency medicine research network across hospitals and specialty boundaries and among health care professions (medical doctors, paramedics, nurses, laboratory technicians etc.).
• Develop research in the field of emergency medicine, including heading up development of new areas of research with the focus on treatment pathways for acutely ill patients, and from injury until discharge from hospital, i.e. both pre-hospital, in-hospital and municipality pathways and preferably aspects of public involvement.
• Initiate and support new projects, including the establishment of PhD studies in the field of emergency medicine.
• Communicate the results of research to health professionals and the public.
• Make grant applications for funding of new research in the field of emergency medicine.
As Emergency Medicine is a new medical speciality in Denmark, the position is also open for applicants from other specialities where patient treatment has emergency components. Board-certified specialists from the following specialities can apply:
• Emergency Medicine
• Internal Medicine: Cardiology
• Internal Medicine: Gastroenterology and Hepatology
• Internal Medicine: Infectious Diseases
• Internal Medicine: Respiratory Medicine
• Orthopaedic Surgery
If the applicant is not already a board-certified specialist in Emergency Medicine, we expect that such a board certification will be achieved within a reasonable time period.
The professor is also required to possess good interpersonal and communicative skills.
Terms of employment
For the professorship the appointee will receive a pensionable annual salary of DKK 185,647 (1 October 2018 level).
The position is covered by the Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities 2013.
Foreign applicants may find this link useful: www.ism.ku.dk
(International Staff Mobility).
The application must be submitted in English and must include the following documents:
• Application, including reasons for applying for this position (max 2 pages)
• Curriculum vitae, including a list of publications
• Diplomas – all relevant certificates
• Research plan focused on the speciality in Emergency Medicine (3‐5 pages)
• Uploads of maximum 10 publications to be considered in the assessment
• Teaching plan
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Appointments Committee. All applicants are then immediately notified whether their application has been passed for assessment. The Dean then appoints an expert assessment committee in order to make an assessment of the selected applicants for the specific post. Selected applicants are notified of the composition of the committee and each applicant has the opportunity to comment on the part of the assessment that relates to the applicant him/herself. You can read about the recruitment process at https://jobportal.ku.dk/
Please note that the applicant will be contacted if the assessment committee requires further documentation.
The applicant will be assessed according to the Ministerial Order no. 242 of 13 March 2012 on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Universities.
The University of Copenhagen encourages all interested applicants to apply for this position.
Please submit the application with the required attachments. Only online applications will be accepted. The closing date for applications is 23.59pm CET, Monday 18 February 2019
Interviews for this position will most likely be held in month of June 2019 (6th/13th/14th/27th June).